Thread: Cinco de Mayo 2
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Rosyhf

Here are the steps for the small spears. The paper pattern is cut a bit larger and when the piecing is finished, it is then cut right at the 1/4 ins. sewing line.

I personally remove all the paper before sewing the arcs together. To me it is easier to keep the 1/4 seam allowance that is so necessary. After I finish piecing the block, I place the block within a 12.5 square that I have drawn on my pressing board and I pin the block into that measurement and spray starch it and press it and let it cool. It is then a perfect 12.5 block.

I do not trim the block. Doing so will make the points disappear. I make it fit. 1/4 inch seam allowance has to be adhered to, to make this quilt succesfull. When sewing the arcs together, pin the center and both sides. The sides must be laying straight across each other. I will also show this next time.

The convave is on top of the convex and I find that if I push the concave up to the convex as I sew, it nestles nicely for sewing and everything eases in.

Attention must be payed when sewing the arcs together, that the points don't get into the seam. If you have to, make the seam two or three threads less than the 1/4 ins. The points make the quilt.

The first spear added and cut. Notice it extends 1/4 inch into the next seam for the background and 1/4 ins into the seam for the next spear.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259268[/ATTACH]

The second spear added and notice it is sewed all the way past the bottom. Here you can see the fold of the next sewing line and the 1/4 inch of the spears extending into it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259269[/ATTACH]

All three spears done and ready for the background
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259270[/ATTACH]

Another pic of the folds on the back to help guide your stitching.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259271[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-259215.jpe   attachment-259216.jpe   attachment-259217.jpe   attachment-259218.jpe