Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Ellen

For me growing up, it was tomatoes. To me, they had an incredible amount of snot....the word slime never occured to me. I got married and went to TX in '64 and was introduced to ocra....slime was still snot. I liked it fried after all but no other way. Went to Cuba, planted a garden in '72 where we had cherry tomatoes....DH didn't dare plant bigger.....and I learned to like tomatoes but still have to squeeze the snot out of the big ones before I'll eat them. THE ONE thing I will never abide even into old age is cantelope...it smells like something rotted in the refrigerator. My deceased dh pooh-poohed that until he came home from work one day after I'd been to the commissary, opened the fridge for a beer and said "when was the last time you cleaned out the fridge?" and I said yesterday. He said "WELL, SOMETHING IS ROTTEN IN THIS FRIDGE" and I told him to look in the veggie drawer. All he said was "OH". He had to take it outside and clean it and cut it up and put in tupperware...that was a rule I enforced for his own good. That is some nasty stuff...