Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

A few days ago I saw that the local quilting guild was offering a class on the New York Beauty block given by Linda Hahn. It said "confident beginner" - so even though everything I make is a wonky battle between fabric and machine, I signed up. It was my first ever class and I was as nervous as I was excited.

I guess I was so nervous and excited that I got the times mixed up with a different class the next day ~and I showed up 3 hours late! After a horrifying moment of wishing I could fall through a hole in the floor, Linda was so gracious and easy going and said, "Don't worry! I'll catch you up." And unbelievably she did.

I have to say that her method made this block so incredibly simple -- even the curves! After I made my first one I was so shocked that I gasped out loud. I think I scared a couple of the normal quilting ladies who must have thought I sewed my fingers together.

"Are you all right, dear?"

"Yes! Very all right! I made one!" ~ I exclaimed somewhat idiotically.

And last night I went to my first ever meeting of that quilt guild despite imagining the disdainful whispers of "She's the one who showed up three hours late. Tsk-tsk!" (Actually, the other new member who I sat down next to DID say, "Oh. You're the one who showed up 3 hours late ...")

Linda Hahn was the guest speaker. YAY! A woman after my own heart. She pulled out a vinyl bin full of scraps and announced that it was her stash. (Well, she also owns yardage, but that's not the point) She proceeded to show the most marvelous quilts made from bits of this and that.

If you ever have an opportunity to invite her to your guild, do it. She is entertaining and talented.

Here's her website http://www.froghollowdesigns.com/Fro...igns/Home.html

So, here are the two blocks I manged to crank out in what was left of the class. One of the seams is a little wonky and cut off a point, but I'll fix it. And the SEAMS MATCH :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: WHEEEEE!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-259553.jpe