Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
HELP!! I had posted this question but haven't seen any comments yet.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Also, on the bobbin winder is a rim of what I think was leather (the part that would "feel" the bobbin). The leather (or whatever it was) is shot and I'll need to replace it. Is this an easy part to find and replace?
Also ... I now have the needle plate off and the bobbin case, but wondering how far do I disassemble the entire bobbin area? I don't think the user of the of the machine had EVER cleaned the bobbin area.
I'm not sure what you are working on - be careful not to pull out any oil wicks - some machines have them. I kind of eye ball it - if the junk comes out easy with my trusty eyelash brush and artist brush and a Qtip - I get it out with that. If not I might take the teeth out. If the bobbin race easily comes out - some just pop out and some have a lever to pop it out. If it is more complicated I leave it and use a ton of oil or kerosene. It can be fun putting it all back together some times. Make sure you have a manual. If the manual shows how something goes apart and goes back together it is safe to take it apart. I figure if I can read the directions on a pattern and make it work, I can read the directions in a repair manual. I just don't like to unless I have to. I keep a muffin pan around to put parts in. I put them in the order I take them out. The go back the opposite - take pictures if you have a camera that does close up shots. Someone suggested disposable diapers or big towel under the machine. Keeping parts off the floor is my biggest problem - that and having them spring across the room into a pile of stuff... :roll: