View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 03:43 PM
omak

Originally Posted by JCL in FL
You hit the nail on the head. I haven't made a fm quilt yet but I have been practicing and I do not breath. I have to stop to get air. How funny is that! I'm glad I'm not the only one that did that. Will I at some time start breathing? Someone told me to practice doodling it on paper and that gives you a feel for where to go next. And I've been doodling away.
I think one of the people suggested working at it for a few minutes every day.
I am highly analytical, and I don't remember all the reasons I was afraid of making mistakes when I first started quilting.
Forget the free motion aspect, for awhile. Just practice free wheeling straight lines, although, believe it or not, moving it from side to side actually is a better use of the machine, I think.
Just take comfort in the fact that others have done it before you, so you know it can be done ... the only thing to decide is how you are going to do it, but do it, you must ...
The breathing thing will come. Take a few deep breaths before you start and you will have enough oxygen to sustain you for quite awhile <g> ...
You all will do just fine.
I am not a big one to say, "I did it, anyone can do it" ... but, I will say ... others have done it, you know it can be done, all you have to decide is when you are going to try.
And, don't be so hard on yourselves ... we are our own worst critics! Maybe someday I will do a job that I absolutely know is perfect, but I am never sure that it is really good ... but, I am better today than I was last week, and most certainly a lot better than I was five years ago when I tried it for the first time.
Trust yourself to be able to learn, and be excited because you are about to start accomplishing something that will make your quilt more useful and maybe even prettier!
You will do a good job. And, you will keep breathing <g>