View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 04:47 AM
olebat

As the expression goes - Been there, done that, got the sting. The time, about 20 years ago, I was outside the fence watching one of my exchange students at tennis practice. I am mildly allergic, dashed out to the nearest fast food joint, which just happened to be a McDonald. (I have never eaten at the Golden Arches, don't plan on it, but all I needed was ice. They wanted to charge me 50 cents for the cup. I knew I didn't have any money with me. I left, walking to the BK next door. By the time I got in, my lips were swollen, and my eyes puffy. I must have frightened the clerk when I asked for ice. A customer walked me to a chair, and like summer lightning,someone had put ice in an apron and had it on my face. Someone was asking if I wanted to go to the ER, another voice was asking to call an ambulance, someone else had an eppi-pen in their car. I just sat there with my face buried in the apron of ice. I was having no difficulty breathing, so I thanked everyone, laughed at the experience of drinking a yellow jacket and asked if I could have a cup of ice to go. Not only did they give me the ice, they gave me a big cup of Coke, because it is a bronchial dilator. I keep those cardboard coasters with me most of the time to keep bugs, bees, and debris out of my drinks. Thanks to all of the good people in the world.