Old 07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Esqmommy

Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by scrap quilter
Eddie

I am so sorry to hear that you wouldn't be welcome in your local quilt guild........ what's to say it's for ladies only???????

Have you tried going to one of the meetings????? If not I would attend and bring something for show and tell........

Scrap Quilter
They have a website with their bylaws posted on it and it says that membership is open to ladies only and that men and children are specifically prohibited from any guild functions.

I'm not sure I would get in the door if I tried to crash one of their meetings, and I really wouldn't want to make any waves within the group. I can respect (maybe not fully understand) that they want to have a closed group like this. I know several members of the guild personally, so am thinking I might casually ask about the policy some time and see what they say. Here's what the bylaws state:

"Men and children (under the age of 12) unless specifically invited to participate, shall be excluded from all guild activities."

That's pretty explicit, in my opinion. :) I'd like to participate and help with whatever needs doing. I'm President of our local historic park, and am editor and past vice-president and treasurer of our county historical society. So I understand how difficult it can be to get "doers" involved in helping run the organization and making it function. I think I would have a lot to offer in that regard, but doesn't look like it's a possibility. Oh, well. Maybe it'll change some day.
I wonder if the purpose of that was to give women an excuse to get away from husbands and kids...I agree with some of the other posts, that it's likely an outdated rule that no one pays attention to. You should try to break the barrier - in your sweet way of course.