View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 04:41 PM
NauDeeGal

When in elementary school, my dad worked an afternoon shift factory job plus owned his own home improvement business. The rare times dad was between jobs or got rained out he would pick us up from school for lunch and bring us home and make us grilled cheese sandwiches and a bowl of soup for lunch. He always made sure that we had dill pickles to go with our sandwiches too. BTW we called our grilled cheese sammiches, not sandwiches. Dad always went out of his way to spend as much time with us kids as he could because he worked a lot and make that time as special as possible for us. Everytime I have a grilled cheese sandwich with a pickle to this day I think of those times dad picked us up from school to spend lunchtime with us.

A lot of summer days I went to work with Dad on his side jobs, so that I could spend more time with him. I was such a daddy's girl. I still am really. I was climbing roofs, snapping chalk lines and passing shingles and nails to the guys at the ripe age of 4. Or helping carry lumber to one of them for inside remodeling jobs. I also was allowed to mix cement in a wheelbarrow, until it got too heavy for me to do. Yes, I am still a tomboy to this day.