Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
Welcome from Southern California.

Wow - where do you start? Are you going to hand quilt or machine quilt? Either one you need a rotary cutter, cutting mat, good scissors (to use only for fabric), I also have a small pair of scissors, a thimble that fits, I like to buy thread when I need it instead of buying a variety. It always seems I never have the shade I need when I buy various colors because they were on sale. You will build up a stash soon enough.

Good lighting is a must. Also a good seam ripper - don't want to discourage you, but it is an extremely necessary item. Also, good quilting straight pins.

Once you start, you can't stop. I really like gadgets so there are a lot of items you want but can do without. I have a needle threader because it works and I think it is cute. And I have several wonderful sewing baskets, when all I really need is one. But these items just start to follow you home.
She forgot a ruler and an iron. The ruler will be made just for quilters, from plastic, have a lot of markings on it to guide your cutting and be any of a lot of different sizes. I use 3 most often, 6" square, 6" x 24" and a Shapecut (1/2" grid) from June Tailor. Our great grandmothers used scissors, needle, threads and did just fine. The invention of the rotary cutter changed the whole game, making cutting faster, easier and much more accurate.

Quilters tend to be gadget junkies, but you don't need to be. Once you get to the quilting part, you'll need a frame or hoop for hand quilting or something often called a Walking Foot for machine quilting.

Oddly enough, hand applique, called needleturn, can be the cheapest way to start, because it needs very few tools, just sharp pointy scissors, needle, thread, pins, patterns (available free lots of places) and, for most people, a thimble.