Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 AM
aorlflood

I'm primarily a hand quilter and basically use whichever hand quilting thread comes in the color I need. Most of the time I use Coats glace 100% cotton.

I recently finished a whole-cloth quilt that was quilted in the same color as the top...white thread with white top. When it was done I really wasn't very happy with it because I would like to see the stitches a little more. After it was all done, I wished I had used a variegated thread to help it show up more.

So for my next quilt, I decided I wanted a variegated thread to help the stitching stand out a little more. In the past, when I have wanted variegated thread I have bought machine quilting thread and ran it through wax or Thread Heaven.

But this time I did a search for actual hand quilting thread since it is usually thicker than machine thread. The only brand that I could find that makes variegated thread is Star which I ordered online from Joann.com.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd62098

Yesterday I finished loading the quilt into the frame and started quilting with the new thread.

OMGoodness...it glides like it is going through "buttah". I have never quilted with such smooth thread before!

I think this is the brand I will be using from now on! :) What I don't understand is why there is such a big difference between this thread and the "regular" hand quilting thread made by Coats as it seems they are both made by the same company, even though this one is under the name of "Star".

No affiliation...just a VERY HAPPY customer!

This is the quilt that I am using it on...

Loading into the frame...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]260583[/ATTACH]

Loaded in the frame and ready for the first stitch!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]260584[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-260530.jpe   attachment-260531.jpe