View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Val in IN

I had an experience regarding 2 quilts for my brother and sister in law. They saw some pictures of some of my quilts that I had posted on Facebook. My brother commented about how nice they were and how much he would love to have a "blankie". I said that I had no idea that he would like one but that I would be happy to make him one and also one for his wife. They live in the mountains and I thought between twin and full size would be good for snuggling under while watching tv. So I started making them. I had to do them in stages because I had to budget the money in stages as I could afford the cost of the materials. All the while, I was getting good natured "reminders" about his "blankie". It took me a year to get them ready to go to the LA'r and I wanted to give them to them in person so I also had to wait till I was going to be able to make the 2000 mile trip. Any way, they loved them when they got them and he said something about "even if it did take you forever to get them done". I told him, " hold on there, I don't think you understand what goes into one of these." I then educated him about the cost involved, including the fabrics, batting, thread, classes I took to learn how to make each particular quilt and the cost of the longarm service. I then went on to explain that if he wasn't my little brother and if I didn't love him and my sister in law so much, they would have had to pay for all that PLUS my hourly wage and overhead expenses for machine maintenace etc. When he found out that without my labor, the cost of each of their quilts (including LA cost) was over $400, he was completely overwhelmed. He said I really didn't know. I just see quilts in dept. stores and figured that's what it would cost. I told him that that is why I don't quilt for profit. I made these for you because I love you very much. I couldn't put a price on that. Needless to say, he has a lot more respect for quilts that he sees now days.