View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 AM
jaciqltznok
Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
HI! Great job.

I am a veteran homeschool Mom (17+ years) and I taught quite a few homeschoolers to sew beginning at the age of 5. Since then, I have been teaching my 3 and 5 year old grandchildren. They love it!

Sewing with out thread on paper is great. Did you teach them about needle down, then pivot, then continue sewing? I used to draw zigzags on the paper and they learned to pivot on the points. Of course, they always felt so proud of themselves. Making small straight line projects gives them such a sense of pride.

The hardest thing for me was to only give verbal instructions and talk/walk them through it. I remember having to hold my hands behind my back because I wanted to just reach out and do it myself. Yikes.

I also taught them to make their own simple apron pattern out of newspaper and then how to pin and cut it and sew it. It is sew fun to pass on the skill of sewing/creating. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
just had to giggle, I too teach on the paper..even drawing waves, circles, etc...but I always have to hold my hands behind my back or in my pockets too!