View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 AM
NDQuilts

Is there a market, yes. It takes effort to reach a market that appreciates hand quilting and is willing to pay for the time to create. That being said, realize that it will be difficult to make a living wage because of the time investment per item. Also evaluate your personal work tendencies (can you hit deadlines, how long to quilt an item?)

Suggestions are to do your research, set your prices and network locally. Building a base will get referrals. Also stick to your guns as there will be those who want box store prices. (yes I have been offered $20 to hand quilt a queen sized top, and I turned it down in a heartbeat.) I win some quotes, and I lose some. I realize that many walk away with sticker shock. BUT I am going to invest 6 weeks or more into this creation and that deserves to be rewarded.

Why do I hand quilt? I love the look, rhythmic progression of loading needles with fabric, the joy of a challenge, being pushing to add beauty to another's work, handing a relative a remembrance of a loved one.

Best wishes as you look into this.