View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Sarahc

So I'm still doing my daughters floor quilt/play mat and I've pieced the top, basted my layers and started stitching. 1st time I had my stitch settings wrong, as it's the first time using a walking foot, lesson learnt, so I unpicked and started again, it then puckered terribly on the top, so I unpicked and re basted, trimmed my boarders as I wasn't happy with the size while I was at it. Quilted again, and it's puckered badly again, I was very careful using safety pins to baste it was lovely and flat :(

I think my problem is I'm trying to do too large a pattern, I was just stitching in the ditch but my top only has 6 30x40cm rectangles, so the quilting was very far apart. I didn't want to do anything intricate because it's large and im inexperienced.

So my question is, should I be quilting a closer pattern? I have a darning foot so could do some free motion but I'm not 100% confident, but then again in still learning all aspects.

Any tips would be gratefully received as I sit and unpick the whole thing again, I could cry!!!