Thread: new to Quilting
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
hopetoquilt

Use a walking foot to sew it on one side. I do a double binding. I cut my fabric 2 1/2 inches wide across the width of fabric, I sew several strips together on diagonal (cutting to a 1/4 inch seam) and then I fold the fabric in half (wrong sides together) and iron it. I make sure that I don't pull/push the binding or quilt but guide it as I sew. I leave a big tail of unsewn binding at the begining. It is a bit difficult to make out the 1/4 inch on the walking foot but there are ways to make sure that this is consistent (using post it notes, mole skin, etc. I do mitered corners and I really take my time with those. Make sure you stop 1/4 inch before the end of the quilt and then do your mitered corner fold. Sew a bit and then stop to go back and make sure the corner came out okay by folding it over to the other side. When I get to the end, I leave a big tail of unsewn binding. I overlap the tails by 2 1/2 inches (cut excess) and then attach the binding pieces together on the diagonal. I handstitch onto the other side of the quilt and use quilt clips to hold it down as I go. Hope this helps