Thread: Licensing
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Sadiemae
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suesembroidery
When I purchased my first Brother's embroidery machine, the sales lady told me I could sell the shirt with the design on it. I was really selling the shirt not the design. I went along with that until a few years ago. My daughter sells my embroidery items as a vendor in the state of Washington. At a sale she was told to remove all licensed items because a complaint was made. They said we could give them away, but not sell them. We complied and gave a few away if they bought more than two items, they got one free from us. I looked at all my material that came with the machine and could not find any information. Went to a dealer in the area and they told us it was true. You can give away, personal use, but, not sell. I was really upset over it, but loved the machine. I went in asked the lady that sold the machine to me and she still was using that line in her sales. Another sales lady told me they were correct in Washington. They can come get your machine and anything that you use to produce what you are selling. It seems unfair if they put the designs in the machine and sell cards to use in the machine and charge the price they do and we can not help to earn the money so we can buy more. From that day forward, if it is licensed in any way, I do not buy.
My machine came with information stating that you could not sell any items with the Disney Characters on it. If I remember correctly it was stated on the color photo pages that showed the designs available on the machine.