Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM
chris_quilts

Had an interesting experience today. I am looking for an vintage Singer donor machine with a potted motor. Hubby broke head off a screw for 201 cuz he tightened it too much. So am looking in several sewing shops and antique shops without much success. At the last shop, they actually have had vintage Singers before so I explain to the possible OSMG what I need. He says he thinks he might have one in back. He comes back and hands me a plastic head to a screw and syas that this is what I need. I explain again it's a 201, all metal, and need a metal screw. He comes back again after a bit of a wait with something that's not even close and cannot understand why I won't buy it from him. I explain to him that I do know what I'm talking about and looking for and neither of his options worked for me. He finally asks me how do I know this and I said b/c I work on my vintage Singers all the time and saw the complete screw before it broke. OH was his reply. Before the screw business, he had tried to tell me that my 201 could not be from the 40s b/c they were only made starting in the 50s. That should have been my sign right there but I kept hoping. He finally did concede that the 201s were manufactured in the 30s AFTER looking at a sewing machine guide (little blue book no longer available) that he has in the shop.
I did see 2 or 3 complete Bernina 830s for about $400 apiece and wondered if they were worth it? I am not interested but curious. Speaking of Bernina, does anyone on here have a Bernina 807? My sister has one and needs a power cord and I need to know if those are still available.