View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 02:03 PM
kluedesigns
Banned

places would be arts and craft festivals, fairs, local gift shops and hospitals, and online sites to name a few.

generating a client base takes more effort. you really need to focus on your location and the type of work those people like to buy.

in my area its much easier to move "art" then "bedding". i can charge $500 for a small wall quilt but have a hard time getting $200 for a twin size bedding quilt.

once you understand your local shoppers and what they like you need to develop a way to reach them.

i live in a dense population with many artists so it was easy to find festivals but i also have a lot of competitors.

once i established a small festival business i started to do charity auctions at the local "clubs" to develop my name among these people.

typically after these auctions the people who didn't win would hire me on the spot to make them work.

it also helps to enter your work into shows - this can and does drive up the price you can sell your work for.

you need to study the income of your area and estimate the amount of disposal cash they have and what they like to spend it on. then you produce works that you are willing to sell for that price.

many people make projects that they want and like to make and typically they can't get a fair price because they put to much into the project without thinking about how much they can get in the market place.

please feel free to ask me anything about starting down this road. the more specific info you can give me the more i can help you.