Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 AM
crashnquilt

I am a longarm quilter and live in an area with quite a few longarmers. I would like to give you some advice about longarm quilters.

Be aware of cheap quilters. Before you beat me up here let me explain. A quilter in this area will quilt any size quilt for $35 and they furnish the batting. This quilter only does pantograph quilting. Only 1 design on all quilts. The batting is a very low quality poly batt. It has very thin and thick spots giving the quilt a very lumpy look and feel. Also, the quilt is not straight.

When hiring a quilter ASK QUESTIONS! Most quilters do not mind answering questions. We know you put a lot of blood, sweat, tears and MONEY into this top, we want you to feel confident you have left your treasure in good hands.

Because of insurance liability and my personal privacy, I do not meet customers in my home. I meet them at a LQS. Do not be alarmed if your quilter does the same.

Pricing is going to vary from quilter to quilter. You have to look at the quilter's reputation and what is included with the price. It all boils down too, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Please don't think "Well, they are working at home..." Yes, most of us are in our own home. But WE ARE WORKING! No, we don't have set hours we work. But, because of deadlines, many of us may be quilting at 10, 11, or later into the night.

Some people think "Well, they have lower "overhead" I don't know about others but I sure don't. My business is in my home. I have to carry a "rider" on my policy to cover my equipment and supplies as well as my customer's quilt tops. The expense of set and maintenance on the dedicated space for my business. So, there are LOTS of hidden costs.

Okay, off my soap box now.