Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 AM
grammy Dwynn

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
I have made a small baby quilt in the past that I only machine quilted by doing the stitch in the ditch with clear thread so all mistakes would not be pronounced, and it was difficult at best, trying to roll it up and maneuver it etc. I was wondering what the largest size quilt any of you have done on your machine? THere are probably tips and tricks I haven't learned yet that would make it easier or not? Or do you just opt to hand quilt or have it LA quilted etc?
I prefer to send the 'big ones' to the LA. I usually do full and smaller on my machine.

As one of the gals already posted, don't roll. I tried it ONCE and that was ONCE to many, I was fighting the roll the whole way. Scrunching the fabric is much easier.

My tips ~
Machingers gloves - help a whole lot, whether FMQ or simple grid work

Machine - surface is flat, either a acrylic table or the machine is in a cabinet.

Space - can also play a part, behind the machine AND on the side.

Quilt weight - keep as much of the quilt on your table surface. Set your ironing board to the left, for the bigger ones.

PRACTICE - FMQ does take (LOTS of) practice! But so does simple grid work and SID!

BREATH - lots of us when we start 'quilting' forget ;)

Quilting our tops is like making our quilt tops! We didn't start out on the complicated patterns. Baby steps before we run!