View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 AM
MacThayer

I always take pleasure in working with my fabrics. First in the selecting -- I can spend hours looking for just the "right" color, texture, print and tone for the project I have in mind, and I'm always toting around scraps of what I already have to match to fabrics.

I love the softness of the fabric when it comes out of the dryer, with all of the "stiffness" chemicals removed. It's only partly dry then, and I finish it outside, so it has that "outdoor" freshness, which I could really just wallow in! Honest! Then I carefully smooth out and fold the fabric. No sense ironing it twice, and I like to use starch, but I don't like to leave it on fabric when I'm not sure when it will be used.

A lot of them time, just before I iron it, I will "air it out" again, outside, so it has that lovely outdoor smell. Then I'll put some classical music, or perhaps a nice opera on in the background, and I lose myself in the music and the fabrics, and I iron and starch away until I have the entire fabric for a project ready to go. It's really creative time for me, and lots of times I'll find myself suddenly pulling other colors out of my stash, just to see what they look like next to what I'm ironing, and if I like it, I write in in my ever-present journal, so I don't forget. Lots of projects have come together just due to "stash combinations" while ironing.

So call me nuts too. I find ironing very relaxing. I suppose it's all in your perspective of the task.