View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 AM
DogHouseMom

I *personally* don't like typing "long" things on the Ipad.

The keyboard is small when active - only 8" long and just under 3" high. I have very small hands and while I can get my fingers to "fit" on the keyboard - the bend in my arms to get my hands that close is uncomfortable.

If you need to use numbers or special characters you have to hit a button on the keyboard to swap out a different character set keyboard, then hit it again to swap back to the alpha set. Pain in the butt.

The "shift" key is not "convenient" to touch typing quickly.

The keyboard is compeltely flat when you lay it on a desk to type. Putting in my lap or even on my legs with my legs propped is impossible to get my arms/hands in the right position to type. It's just not comfortable.

I touch type which means my fingers rest on the keyboard all the time. You can't do that with the Ipad. If your not using a finger to type - you have to lift it - or it will type!

Editing is not quick or easy - you cant just move your mouse the position and type over. If the window your typing in is small you first have to "zoom" in - then tap the place you want to insert - but you can't "tap into" the middle of a word - only between two words! To fix a word, you tap into the space behind it, backspace through the word (or hit select then cut/copy/replace), then retype. It just takes a lot more time and effort to edit stuff.

So I'll use it for quickie replies, especially when I'm on vacation - but I wouldn't want to type a whole lot on it.

I'd stick to a desktop, laptop, or notebook for any serious typing.

Despite all of that ... I LOVE my Ipad for everything else and wouldn't trade it in for anything. I'm just not going to write any tomes on it.