View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 AM
writerwomen

Let's make a distinction here. The issue isn't respect but reverence. There seems to be a belief that it is reverence that is needed. There has been such an uproar from teachers they don't get enough respect that it really bags the question- how much is enough?
Several questions have been raised by others. The fact that teachers are on from 8-8 is far from true unless they are mandated to be at an event- grading work after class room hours is part of the job and the commitment to be there outside of class room hours for kids has become an anomaly not the norm. Only taking time off during holidays is also false- our kids have had subs more often than not as teacher after teacher takes time for this and that. Compensation time and pay for furthering their own degrees is a fact. Former full time teachers tell us they are so over booked for subbing jobs months in advance they have to stop answering the phone. Days are scheduled to compensate for conferences etc- cutting our children’s instructional time. How does the school system get away with it- easy, it’s called a ½ day which is just long enough to say they had a full day. Movies are shown in school that have no relation to lessons because well- we just thought they needed a break. Any parent who has been around the schools and honestly evaluates things will see these.
As for the teacher who feels they are burned out at the end of the year- guess what- so are the kids and parents.
I am a parent who advocates for those in the teaching profession who deserve it and hold those who task who need to be. I have written letters of reference and accommodation for those worthy of honors and accolades- who in their own words stated they asked me because they knew I was fair and honest.
I have taken on teachers, principals and superintendants in the good old boys club who felt they had free reign in their treatment of children and have defended those unable to speak up for themselves whether they be child or teacher.
My husband and I have worked our family lives around your homework regimen.
We have filled the growing cavern of instruction being stripped from their education as programs are cut and homework loads are out of control. We have taken our children from not meeting your minimal standards but shown them how to go way above and beyond by giving the tools that will serve them in every aspect of their life. We teach them to question and in so doing teach them to delve deeper and as a result they have a more comprehensive understanding then the child who simply takes your word as teacher at face value.
We have stayed up till wee hours of the morning trying to get the kids through projects- seems each teacher thinks theirs is the most important subject and needs extra work.
We have poured hours into friends of our kids who have come to us for help. We are appalled at the level of their work and knowledge- some we understand struggle even more as they have grown up in non-English speaking homes but that does not negate the teacher’s responsibility instead of passing them along from one grade to the next. We have walked with them through basic things they should have been taught by their class room teachers. These kids hunger so much for good input they suffer through hours of us critiquing and helping them work and rework their work. By the end of the school year we will have had a minimum of 20 meals out due to the fact our kitchen is ground zero for a major school project. By the end of the year- we will have spent a minimum of 3 hours a night to make sure the kids have their homework not just don’t but comprehend it. By the need of the year we will have had 3 computers and 4 jump drives on my husband’s desk needing repair or recovery of files no one else can access and without them the child’s work is gone and they fail. By the end of the year we will have had at least 15 weekends and countless phone calls with kids who are in need of intense help to make it through what they are not understanding or unequipped to do. By the end of the year we will have put our kids to bed late due to homework and drug them out early to be there for you. By the end of the year our kids will have been infected by some virus and missed classes for which they had to make up work a minimum of 4 weeks.
By the end of the year we will have sat down with at least one teacher who needs to se there is more then one way to teach a child and failing to reach that child is not an option.
Regards to degrees and a good education- What is a good education and when is it enough- more over who should be held responsible for the failure to give that education- should there be a malteaching law instituted so a person can sue teachers who failed to do their job if so then maybe a higher level of accountability needs to be instituted.
A good education does not teach humanity and humility- it is people.
As far as a good education assuring a good job -it does not.
We are aware of from others and personally that degrees etc can and do hurt. People have been passed over due to over qualification.
Many years ago I asked an employer as he when interviewing potential replacements for me as I was planning to move- why with all the people who came to him with such great resumes did he choose me, one who didn't even have any experience in the field.
His response was very forthright- you can teach anyone a skill but you can't teach them a personality. Most of these people are so full of what they have on paper they are real lemons.
An education is valuable but it is only part of who you are- and people do respect teachers they just feel reverence is not appropriate.