View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 04:29 PM
PMY in QCA-IL

My daughter has a nephew and the son of a very good friend who both have juvenile diabetes. This spring, on our way home from the Rio Grand Valley, we were at her home in Laredo and the annual walk for JD research was taking place. Her friend is in charge of fundraising for their local JD "chapter", so DD was also involved. I went along to help where I could. They had a T-shirt contest - each team participating had their own unique t-shirt design - and an entry from each team was on display for the contest. Me and my big mouth - I said -"If you could get me one of each of the shirts, I could make a t-shirt quilt that you could use for fund-raising next year." And so it happened, except I didn't receive one of each shirt, but did have about 8 I could work with and using backs from some of the shirts, I was able to put together a pretty nice quilt. Got a phone call earlier this week wondering if I could e-mail a pic. of the quilt since they may be using it for a silent auction in Nov. I was still quilting the quilt, but shouldn't be a problem to finish and get it sent.
ANOTHER PHONE CALL YESTERDAY - they loved the quilt, BUT - one of the shirts that WASN'T sent to me shoud have been in the quilt since the woman whose team that shirt belonged to would be insulted and offended if her shirt wasn't in the quilt. If they sent it to me, could I possibly add it or replace one of the other shirts with it? Yikes. If it wasn't for it being a fundraiser and hoping they can make a lot of $$ with it I would have said "No way!" But---- being a Mom, I said "Send it and I'll see what I can do." I haven't quilted the shits themselves yet, I'm thinking I can trim the center out of one of the volunteer shirts (not a team shirt) and leave a border of that shirt around the new shirt. I have quilted all the sashing around the shirt blocks, so I really can't take that out and can't think of what else to do. Any suggestions??