Old 09-24-2011, 05:49 PM
wordpaintervs

As many of you may know, woman are freqrently sent home from breast surgery (lumpectomy or breast removal) the next day, or otherwise is too short a time. Those losing a breast (s) are given pint sized bottles (bottle?) to catch the 'drainage' in. Sometimes, according to what I have read, they are given a pillowcase to keep the bottles in.

I have a pattern I downloaded sometime back and since October is Breast cancer awareness month, I am going to make a few bags. Tapestry or somehing weightier might be better, as I read some 'bottles' can get heavy. I think I will use quilt batting for mine. On my pattern, as opposed to the pattern I found a link for, they made a tab about 5 inches by 2 and 1/2 inches and sewed it to the side of the bag. On the other side was a strap made from a 56 inch width made into a tube or strip. The one end was sewn onto the side opposite the tab. It could then be worn as a shoulder bag or acros the chest, by tying the open end of the strap through the tab. Instead of a tab, I suppose a couple D rings would also work. (Hope that made sense.) Here is a simple pattern on the link below. Give it some thought folks, and call your hospitals or the ACS (American cancer society) and see if they can tell you where to send your bags. It would be fun to make them extra pretty while leaving them practical. Like I said....please give it some thought. If you can't gt the link, please let me now.

Vickey Stamps

http://mamaspocketbook.com/freepinkoctpattern.htm