Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Just finished a tutorial on machine binding using a Davis NVF and Singer 328; can be found on my blog.

I spent late last night (very early morning) trying to improve the look of my machine binding work. This is what I came up with after many trial and errors.
Ya did good! :) I'm DYING to get this Davis up and running!! I just have to keep telling myself, "It'll happen...patience Grasshopper!!" :lol:

I absolutely LOVE the duct tape on the attachments!! It made me smile!! :)
Charlee, I also have an older Davis Vertical Feed, but yours is older than mine - mine is also pre 1900! Love the machine and I really love the treadle! Your treadle actually says "vertical feed" doesn't it? Wow! My Betty's treadle does not say anything, not even 'Davis.' Yours, being a coffin top, is really puurrrty! Good luck with her, and have patience when you start sewing with her - they take some getting use to! Also, that Davis will give you a work out! When I put on a binding with her, I get worn out from treadling!

Nancy
I'm getting so impatient to get this machine going! :lol: I have to remember that it's going to look so much nicer if I behave and take my time!!

The base is cool. It has "Vertical Feed" in the foot pedal, and the decals on the circular part of the back of the base also say "Vertical Feed". The flywheel on the base has stars at the "intersections", and the sides both have the name "Davis" cast into them.

My "detective work" leads me to believe that this machine is from between 1885 (the last patent date on the slide) and 1890 when the factory first fired up in Dayton, Ohio, since "Watertown, NY" is also on the slide plate, and that's where the Davis company first started. They made the decision to move in 1888, when the city of Dayton offered them big bucks to move there.