View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 AM
kaykwilts

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
I would not want to go back to the 60's for anything! Three assassinations (J. Kennedy, M.L. King, R. Kennedy), Vietnam War (thousands of young men killed), Civil Rights Protests, etc. No way would I want to go back. However, our society did seem to accomplish some better policies: no draft and a bit more equality.
Forgive me...but all men, at the age of 18, are still required by law to register for Selective Service (draft) within 30 days of their 18th birthday. While our nation has NOT drafted any one since the 70's, all men are still required to register.

The penalties for failure to register can be a real hindrance to a man obtaining financial assistance for college, eligibility for Federal job training and federal jobs. Only those who can provide compelling evidence as a conscientious objector can have this requirement waived.

Having five sons, four of whom have now registered (and one who failed to follow through in a timely manner...you wouldn't believe the tenor of the letters we received!!), I just wanted to set the record straight on this important point.

Edited: Failure to register can result in a fine up to $250,000 and 5 yrs in jail. Failure to register is considered a felony