Old 09-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Candace
O.K. ya'll....I need some help. I had a gal contact me yesterday in regards to an ad I have on CL. She told me she had a "remarkable" FW that looked brand new in case. That the foot pedal was still in the cardboard box. It looks unused(so she says). She told me she's losing her home, if she can't come up with some quick cash, and is selling off her items.
She's asking $140. She told me she saw online they were going upwards of $500 in the condition hers was. She gave me the serial # and it's a 1937 machine(I looked it up). I asked her to send me a few pics. She was able to send me two dark pics and I believe she's led herself to think it's a FW, but the scroll plate etc. look like a 201.

Now, here's the deal. I've not really desired a 201, but I don't have one, and could rationalize adding an almost brand new 201 to my collection. I know she needs the money. But, what's a reasonable offer?
I wonder what she is trying to pull. If she really is moving offer he $50 and hope for $75. I paid $30 for one once.
I don't think she's trying to pull anything, really. I think she honestly doesn't know anything about sewing from her e-mails to me. I think she's like the many others who know nothing, that assume a travel case with a black singer in it, is a FW. I tend to think she's ignorant in sewing machines rather than dishonest. But, I also need to feel like I'm getting a decent price on it. I hate to have to break the news to her that she really doesn't have a FW.

I don't want to rip her off, but this machine hasn't been on my wish list either. Actually I'd prefer one of the newer 201's that has the more angular looking body...