Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Charlee

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hi Everybody. I am having a problem with my longest owned and most used machine. I have a Bernina Record 830 and have used it constantly (no sitting up...) for the past 25+ years. Lately I have a tension problem I can't seem to get to the bottom of. The top tension is tight, no matter what I do. The machine is kept oiled and the lint cleaned out. I have cleaned real well between and around the tension disc plates. I changed the needle. I have the bobbin set kind of tight to help pull the top thread down, and the top tension is set way too loose, but still I get tight top tension. There just isn't all that much to the top tension and threading and still I can't get it to have an acceptable tension! Any ideas? Could the tension discs be bent if the machine has not undergone any trauma and been used continually for this long? I know this machine like the back of my hand-- it's been my main workhorse-- but I can't figure this out.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Have you checked your bottom tension? I know a lot of "top" tension problems are actually the bottom tension. I don't know anything about a Bernina, does it have a removable bobbin case?
If so, when the bobbin is inserted into the case and threaded, you should be able to pick up the assembly by the thread. A slight shake should make the assembly "fall" a few inches into your palm. If you can't pick the whole thing up by the thread, turn the adjustment screw a quarter turn to the right to tighten and try it again. If you CAN pick it up by the thread, but can't give a light shake and make it fall to your palm, turn the adjustment screw a quarter turn to the left.