View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 PM
RobertaMarie

Way back in the 1970s, I had periodontal disease and my teeth were beginning to loosen. One dentist pulled a front abscessed tooth and put in a partial... not good. Switched dentists and had some work done (oral surgery) that helped. Was told I was not a good candidate for dentures since my jaw was narrow and would not hold the denture in place very well. So!!! I had permanent front bridges both upper and lower in 1978. The dentist told me they would last about six years at most. I still have them and they are working fine. I also have some molar crowns and five implants, since dentures don't sound like a good idea for me. They are expensive, and we have no dental insurance, but usually insurance won't pay for implants as they are considered "cosmetic". So far,I have had no problem with them, cannot tell them from my natural teeth, except they look better and do not hurt. I think I was fortunate in finding a good doctor who knew what he was doing. He never hurt me, was gentle and always called me that evening to see how I was feeling after surgery. He had to do bone grafting before the implants because of my former problem. If you can possibly afford it, find yourself a good doctor and try the implants. I realize they may not work for all, but I sure like the idea I am 78 years old and still brushing my teeth, using a water-pick and floss and have no toothaches.(This is called "putting your money where your mouth is".) My sister who is younger, has dentures that won't stay put and she can hardly stand them, or eat well. Thank God mine work.I pray yours will work out well for you and you have good luck with them. Blessings, Roberta