Old 09-26-2011, 01:50 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hi Everybody. I am having a problem with my longest owned and most used machine. I have a Bernina Record 830 and have used it constantly (no sitting up...) for the past 25+ years. Lately I have a tension problem I can't seem to get to the bottom of. The top tension is tight, no matter what I do. The machine is kept oiled and the lint cleaned out. I have cleaned real well between and around the tension disc plates. I changed the needle. I have the bobbin set kind of tight to help pull the top thread down, and the top tension is set way too loose, but still I get tight top tension. There just isn't all that much to the top tension and threading and still I can't get it to have an acceptable tension! Any ideas? Could the tension discs be bent if the machine has not undergone any trauma and been used continually for this long? I know this machine like the back of my hand-- it's been my main workhorse-- but I can't figure this out.
Thanks for your thoughts!
I ssssoooooo hope you haven't been praying for patience. Pray for wisdom.

Does the manual show how to dis-assemble the tension to clean it? Try running some heavy thread through it like you are flossing it and see if you get any gunk out of it. I somehow got my Consew walking foot tension gunked up and thread kept breaking - nightmare until I cleaned it. There is a 30 Something Bernina Yahoo group maybe they could help. I don't know if you can get a service manual for that machine. There are times when I think the mystery man at the shop who knows all can best take care of it... just be sure of your shop. I know some shops specialize.

You didn't mention whether or not you took apart the bobbin shuttle. The Bernina is an easy one to do and I know that IS in your owner's manual. I can do it but not from here... I have to tell you a story about one though... I was at a someone's house. Anyway, the lady wanted to show off her Bernina. At that time I had never seen one. So I started looking around and got down there to the bobbin area and I saw lint. So I pulled bobbin out and then pulled the shuttle apart and cleared out all that lint. That lady drew a real deep breath and didn't let it out until I fumbled it back together. Then she hugged me and was real happy. I heard back later that it ran better. She'd had it for years and never opened it up. So I showed her in her manual how to do it.

Some times it helps to stop and take a break. Then go back and look at it again. There are some videos on Utube on adjusting tension - don't know if they have yours.