Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 AM
Quilt Mom

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I found one of the new Singer Featherweight machines at a local GW! Plugged it in and the motor ran and the needle went up and down. Brought it home and played a bit on it and it seems to run well. I think I will put it away for a granddaughter, eventually, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on these machines. I know...they are plastic (I'm unable to take it apart....no screws, so it must be a throw away machine) but that's all I know about it. Certainly not the Featherweight from 1954 I have upstairs!! LOL!
I don't know about not being able to take it apart. I think mine can be. I have/had one. It is with my DD currently. It works well, and can be used for a lot of things. For heavy use, this is NOT the machine you want. But it has been handy for her mending, and for a backup machine when my go to machine was down - before I started gathering my 'herd' of vintage machines. :lol: When I deliver the centennial FW promised to DD, she may give up the little one, may not. She does tell me the plastic one won't go through the layers to hem her DH's pants.