Old 09-26-2011, 05:27 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I found one of the new Singer Featherweight machines at a local GW! Plugged it in and the motor ran and the needle went up and down. Brought it home and played a bit on it and it seems to run well. I think I will put it away for a granddaughter, eventually, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on these machines. I know...they are plastic (I'm unable to take it apart....no screws, so it must be a throw away machine) but that's all I know about it. Certainly not the Featherweight from 1954 I have upstairs!! LOL!
You know Randa, these little plastic light weight machines are great for the kids to learn on. I have had several quilt camps at my house for the GK's. Some of them have asked their parents for machines - the machines the parents purchased were the bottom of the line types - cheap. I expected a couple of the really bottom of the line Kenmore's, Singers, Brother's etc., to burn up during the quilt camps because we sew non-stop for a week. Well, those little cheap machines surprised me, some are still going! Of course, those machines are not meant to last - they will burn up with long hours and use, but to learn on I think they are just fine. Besides, it takes using a plastic modern machine for the kids to appreciate the work horses our vintage machines are!

Any one know what this machine is? You know me, I like the ones that are different.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2617643335.html

Nancy