Old 09-26-2011, 05:35 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hi Everybody. I am having a problem with my longest owned and most used machine. I have a Bernina Record 830 and have used it constantly (no sitting up...) for the past 25+ years. Lately I have a tension problem I can't seem to get to the bottom of. The top tension is tight, no matter what I do. The machine is kept oiled and the lint cleaned out. I have cleaned real well between and around the tension disc plates. I changed the needle. I have the bobbin set kind of tight to help pull the top thread down, and the top tension is set way too loose, but still I get tight top tension. There just isn't all that much to the top tension and threading and still I can't get it to have an acceptable tension! Any ideas? Could the tension discs be bent if the machine has not undergone any trauma and been used continually for this long? I know this machine like the back of my hand-- it's been my main workhorse-- but I can't figure this out.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Sewbizgirl, have you changed your thread? Everyone now is using the new Bottom Line bobbin thread, which is a 60 weight - very fine thread. Some of the older machines can't tolerate that light weight of a thread. I have found with my treadles to keep the top and bottom thread the same. Even my Long Arm doesn't tolerate the really light weight bobbin thread - I spent several hours ripping out a quilted quilt due to the Bottom Line thread. I know these new threads are made for the bobbin, but be careful some machines won't tolerate them. Also, if you are using a really inexpensive thread, it may be the thread not your tension. The top tension should always be tighter then the bobbin tension. When you pick up your bobbin by the thread, it should only lift up on end not come off your hand unless you bounce it.

Nancy