Old 09-26-2011, 06:01 AM
svenskaflicka1

i rescued two at a thrift store a few weeks ago. one was strangely proportioned; too long for the single fabric width. it had a bright blue brushed polyester backing, and a white/multicolored polkadotted cotton flannel top. it had been tied, was brand new, and brought to the thrift store. by the time i'd gotten it washed and dried, it had been appropriated by my hubby, who hates having his feet hang out when he's in his chair. this one needed to find him, i guess. he calls it his "balloons" quilt.

the other one i rescued, was pieced by someone who made do with what they had--they used bright, crazy cottons--some old, some new, some feed sack, some name brand, and created a bright, happy patchwork top. the backing was an old poly backed cotton bedspread, with colors/"smeared" floral design from the eighties. there had been a lot of love put into that quilt, and it, too, was hanging right in the thrift shop. it had never even been washed. this last saturday, my youngest daughter claimed it and brought it to her house, where it went right on their bed. the old comforter was reaching the end of the line, and is destined to become a dog bed. this anonymous quilt also has a happy home, and will be well loved.

sometimes, like grandma said, one man's meal is another man's poison. all of those quilts will find their home, eventually. it might not be today--it might not even be someone in the immediate family. but when someone just lights up when they see a quilt, i have a hard time saying "no", unless it is really "mine"!