View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 AM
flowerjoy

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Originally Posted by flowerjoy
I would not want to go back to the 60's for anything! Three assassinations (J. Kennedy, M.L. King, R. Kennedy), Vietnam War (thousands of young men killed), Civil Rights Protests, etc. No way would I want to go back. However, our society did seem to accomplish some better policies: no draft and a bit more equality.
Forgive me...but all men, at the age of 18, are still required by law to register for Selective Service (draft) within 30 days of their 18th birthday. While our nation has NOT drafted any one since the 70's, all men are still required to register.

The penalties for failure to register can be a real hindrance to a man obtaining financial assistance for college, eligibility for Federal job training and federal jobs. Only those who can provide compelling evidence as a conscientious objector can have this requirement waived.

Having five sons, four of whom have now registered (and one who failed to follow through in a timely manner...you wouldn't believe the tenor of the letters we received!!), I just wanted to set the record straight on this important point.

Edited: Failure to register can result in a fine up to $250,000 and 5 yrs in jail. Failure to register is considered a felony
Registration is not a draft. Registering, as they have now, is far different than what was occurring during the Vietnam War... What we have now is called a volunteer army. A volunteer army did not exist during the Vietnam era. If you had a medical deferment, were in college or had a job that was an exception to the draft (such as teaching or peace corps) you were excused from the draft. If you were not in those categories, whether you wanted to go or not and your draft number came up - you went to war or you went to prison.
The current registration system is set up for a time of war crisis ... where everyone who is physically and/or mentally able (with the exception of ages - either too young or too old) has the possibility of being drafted. Registration is not drafting.

If your sons were living in the 60's and were not fortunate enough to be in college or in an excluded profession or a peace corps volunteer... they would be trained and very likely sent to Vietnam... Also exempt were those of some religious affiliations who had official objections... other than that they faced the war, whether they wanted to or not and whether they believed in it or not... and now we do business with Vietnam which is a thriving sea port. Would you have liked your sons to die for that?