View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Ramona Byrd

are only sweet when ripe. I then take the pulp and freeze it in 2c. bags to use in cookies. Thank you,time2quilt-greaterexp-&np3, for the addition recipes. Maybe using it like pumpkin is before they are fully ripe. I find that when they are ripe, the pulp is more like peaches. By the way, it takes a few weeks to ripen on the porch so be patience.....[/quote]
--------------------------------------
Depends on the kind. There's 3 or 4 or more kinds of them, the REAL ones from the East that are small and tasty, but should be touched by cold to be eaten.
Here in CA I first saw the A Fuyu persimmon and the Hachiya, both of which are quite different from the little ones I grew up with in West Virginia.
One of these is small and hard, when ripe are crisp and lovely in fruit salads. The other one looks like a tomato that I first thought it was when I first got hold of one. This one can be hurried into softness by an overnight visit in the freezer, or held whole in the freezer till you get around to using it. There are other, much rarer ones that have dark meat, but not found often in grocery stores, except for speciality ones.

I think of them (the big tomato-like ones) like Pumpkins, use the same recipes but add more nuts, it has a lovely deep flavor.