View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 AM
suebee

Holy Cow...this is fabulous! Lots of love went into it for sure. Beautiful job.

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana
I have been following this forum for over a year but this is my first post at the encouragement of my DH. This is the memory quilt I made for his mother's surprise 90th birthday. I did raw edge applique with a buttonhole stitch using a compilation of patterns from Lori Holt's: Comforts of Home & Family Reunion http://www.beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com, a Pansy block designed by Joan Jones and a few of my own creation. I had 3 months to complete it, allowing an extra month for a LAQ, so just kept making blocks until the deadline approached. I arranged blocks on 1/4" graph paper, as you would furniture, to create a cohesive plan, with sashing to allow greater freedom in arrangement. I had to make a few extra blocks to "fill in the holes" and started trimming and sewing the blocks together. The back is a huge crossword puzzle I had printed at Spoonflower.com which consists of special names, places and events in my MIL's life. Family well wishes and mementos surround the puzzle and clues. Hope you enjoy!