View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Holice
Banned

Originally Posted by San Diego Quilter
I hate marking my quilt tops....and I don't seem to be talented enough to go freehand! Pencils seem to smudge - blue lines have become permanent (OK, so left on wayyyy to long and exposed to heat and sunlight) - air-fades do just that way before I can get the quilting done. I'm thinking of trying a pounce, but want to make sure that pretty blue or red powder actually stays as long as I want it to and comes off when I don't need it any longer.

Anyone use a pounce? Pros/cons? I think that I read somewhere that you can do the same with corn starch on dark quilts...anyone ever tried that?

Thanks!
Lineless in San Diego (aka - Linda)
There has been a lot of problems reported about the blue pounce that it didn't come off. I don't know about the red but I imagine it would be the same. The folks who developed the Miracle Chalk have not been able to find a color that will come of with that product.
So I would use it with caution.
Using the pounce successfully also depends on how you intend to quilt. If machine on a home machine then it is going to rub off unless you punce/mark as you go.

Have you tried the "Multi-pastel" chalk pencils. They work good and don't come off while quilting. Yet, can be removed with brushing and ultimately washing. I only recommend them in white and light grey as they have no color in them. I have also used successfully the ceramic mechanical pencil sold under several brands - Sewline, Fons and Porter and Collins.