View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
mim

To a quilt guild in Niceville, FL. Isn't that a sweet name for a town??

I belonged for 2 winters. I arrived in December and left in March, both years. I can truly say that I was welcomed and made to feel a real part of the group.

Perhaps it was because the area also has a lot of military bases and there are a lot of service wives; perhaps because, like me, there are a lot of "snowbirds" in the winters.

Truly, I don't think it was either of those reasons. They were warm friendly people -- period. There were usually over 80 people at the meetings so it wasn't easy for someone to get noticed the second or third time.

There is a thread on the board right now about groups not welcoming newcomers. I thought I should let a great group know how much I appreciated them. I think the atmosphere comes from the top as well as the individuals.

They also did a lot of service projects -- veterans, children and disaster quilts and lap blankets.

This board is so friendly as well.

I just thought that as we are from a lot of places we aren't living in right now, that letting our old groups might like to hear kind words from us -- that is if they were indeed nice.

Mim

I never told old teachers and mentors how much they meant to me -- sadly they are gone now and will never know.