View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Murphy1

Yes it is that tradition you grow up with. Which reminds me I need to invite my sis over for all of this. Thanks for the comment.
Originally Posted by Ps 150
Originally Posted by Murphy1
Just have to buy the vanilla wafers and I am set.
Isn't it great to connect our favorites with fond memories of Mom.

Got the recipe on the desktop, haing this and pork chops for dinner tonight.
Originally Posted by madamekelly
...when the apples hit the oven! I'm stuck home from church with a headache so I decided to slam some pills and get to baking. I made some Caramel Apple Crisp and some Apple Crisp and seasoned my cast iron apple dumpling pan so that's next on the agenda! Yum!
You put oatmeal in your apple crisp? I have never had it that way. We have always used rolled wheat. (It is sold under the Krusteaz brand as "Zoom" hot cereal. Try it, you will love it.
I've never heard of "Zoom" before. I'll have to look for it. We have a very few "Krusteaz" products in our stores out here but I have seen them. My grandmother always made her Apple Crisps with oatmeal, so I always have. There's something about biting into an apple crisp that still takes me back to being a kid at her house in the fall. It was one of her favorite desserts to make so it always makes me think of her.
Oh, THANK YOU! Thanks for validating the pork chops and apples connection. I always eat pork chops with applesauce and when I met DH and his family, they all thought I was insane. My grandfather always ate it that way, as did his children and grandchildren and since he lived through the Great Depression, my in-laws always attributed his tastes to "living simply". But, I just love to dip my baked pork chops in applesauce and I even make a pork roast in sage and apples...so delicious!