View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Rose_P

Just now I had a phone call from someone who identified himself as representing "GE Life Alert". He was a fast talker who explained that they were running a promotion in our area to introduce this alarm system, and the first question he asked was, "Do you currently have a system?" I have to wonder if a real security company would ever try that stupid question on the phone! I told him it was a very clever question and that we do not EVER respond to any sort of phone solicitation. Seriously, folks: If a stranger on the phone wants to know if you have an alarm system, this can't be a good thing! It should always be a secret whether you have one or not. I suspect this person used "GE" because it's a long standing American company, a name people may tend to trust. Google did not find anything about them in connection to "Life Alert".

Heads up! If we all stopped responding to phone solicitations pretty soon they'd have to give up. We have "do not call", which is another reason to suspect this call was bogus.