Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 AM
omak

If you look at the directions, and PLAN where to put each of your fabrics, if you put the waving flag fabric as the dark, use the figured patriotic as the light, and then your white as the "family" ... it might work out just fine.
A special patriotic quilt is a nice thing, what are you going to do with your patriotic quilt?
I would take the chance, but that is just me, with a complete decade of "saving" different fabric stashes which will either become quilts, or end up in a garage sale/thrift store at some point because I waited too long to actually accomplish what I purchased the fabric for ...
I happen also to be the type of person who prefers dark colorings/intense colorings, if you will ... the instructions are suggesting to me that most of the quilt will be light ... I don't see why we can't take the directions and change the tone of the colors ...
I'm not sure I can help you make the final decision, but I would also use the gold as one of the "lights/darks" ... since you would be using your novelty fabrics as the "light" ...
You can always use different fabrics, work the mystery ... or wait and print out the whole thing afterwards, and see if the patriotic theme would be appropriate ... you might find a quilt you will be able to enjoy in many themes ...