Thread: Selvage quilt
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Jaynie

Well fellow quilters, in response to your questions: My friend and I have only been saving selvages for about 10 years. We each made a quilt recently about the same size (mine is 60 inch square). Most amazing is we both still have plenty of selvages left to make more quilts. It is amazing how fast you can get a pile of those things. We didn't pay attention to size before, BUT now after making our quilts, we have decided that we should cut AT LEAST a couple of inches wide when cutting the selvages off our fabrics. It has been one of the most fun quilts I have made...no stress, no cutting from templates or patterns, no matching points. Just pick a block size, cut your foundation a little larger than finished block size, sew strips along the selvage edge onto your foundation block, overlap the next piece on the raw edge & trim when each block is finished (and yes I saved those trimmings too!) sew blocks together. It goes together really quickly. The possiblities are endless. THANK YOU all for your generous compliments.