View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 AM
jdavis

I have an elna 6003 which I've had for eight years, and have never had it professionally tuned, etc. I recently had a funny grumbling noise that had me worried to the point of looking up the pricing, but the noise stopped, and my DH grumbled about why it is recommended that it be done annually. Then I started having an intermittent squeak in the bobbin winding area (where you are not supposed to poke around), so I'm thinking I should get her looked at. In my area (western NY - Rochester), the price is $75.00. The repairman has an arrangement with the shop where I bought the machine - he picks them up and drops them off on a certain day every week. Parts are extra, and you can call him to find out what the damages are before you pick it up. I also have the option of taking it directly to his shop (either way, it's a little bit of a drive). The repair shop also has a $10 coupon in the telephone book. The ladies at the fabric/sewing shop talk like the repair guy is an absolute angel. Now that I've read all of your comments, and finished the projects I was working on when the noises started, I think I'll be getting the tune-up. I don't feel too bad about the eight years, because I didn't use her that much for the first four. I've really only put her to the test for the last two years, I'd say. She did have a monstrous aamount of lint in the reachable places, so she probably has a bunch elsewhere. Thanks to you all for all the input - and it's nice to see so many other elna users out there!