Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 AM
jrhboxers

Originally Posted by linken
I order charm packs of the lines of fabric before I order yardage. Then I can judge the color and quality. I have never been disappointed by connecting threads
This ^^^^ is what I do. I purchase a charm pack of each line and all of the colors in their solids, mirage and basics. Then I know what the real color will be when I get it. And it is also great for picking complimentary pieces for a focal fabric. I put a 'header' on the pieces as they come in. The line name, color number and all the other information to locate them easily. I then use double-sided tape and mount them to the info cards. I punch a hole in the corner and group them on rings. When I am trying to figure something out, I pick out the rings that I need, sit down with my focal print or my pattern and figure things out.

And actually I like that better than going to the fabric store. There are many pluses to their stuff - fabrics are gorgeous and I love the feel of them - their yard is at least 37" - and their thread is fab-u-lous. If I do go to the fabric store (LQS, HobbyLobby, etc) then I usually buy things that I wasn't needing at this point, and usually don't pick up what I really came for. HTH