Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 AM
paulswalia

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Wow, she has quite a lot of scraps and her work is beautiful! My scraps would only fill one or two of her drawers since I am just getting started. It looks like I need to think this through. Maybe I should just cut strips as wide as possible and go from there. Thanks for the link.
don't put it off too long - scraps start to build up pretty fast. (I hear they multiply if left in the dark). I also use the Bonnie Hunter system. If under a yard, I cut FQs first, then if anything remains I cut what I can using this priority system: First a 5 x wof strip , second a 2.5xwof strip. If I can't get WOF then I cut 2.5 squares, 3.0 squares and 3.5 squares. I figure the WOF strips can become borders or sashing (the 5.0 can be cut into 2.5 later if I need it) or the 5 x wof can become charms or the 2.5 strip can become more 2.5 squares. I am eagerly awaiting the moment when I make a whole quilt and didn't have to cut anything!!! Another suggestion is to look at your collection of patterns you want to make in this lifetime and see what size pieces they require.