Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 AM
ncredbird

Well, I have tried Baked Oatmeal before and although the recipe had received rave reviews DH and I really didn't care for it. I came across another recipe yesterday and it looked promising so I gave it a try for breakfast this morning. Man was it GOOD!! Tastes like dessert rather than a very healthy breakfast. The recipe can be found here:
http://annies-eats.net/2011/09/12/ba...al-with-fruit/

Now for the alterations that I made because I didn't have everything on hand.
I had 7 grain cereal rather than oatmeal
I used 2 honey crisp apples cored but left the peels on and sliced them. Used some dried cranberries (Craisins). Added about 1 T of orange marmalade and cut the maple syrup amount in half. Also, because we are lactose intolerant, I had light vanilla yogurt on hand but no milk so I took half water and half vanilla yogurt for the liquid. (I also added about 1/2 cup additional liquid (water)) DH said he was going to have another portion after dinner tonight and eat it for dessert. We didn't add any additional sweetener but I did spray on some spray whipped cream from a can to dress it up when I served it. We will be making this frequently with many different flavor changes. I am already looking forward to pumpkin pie flavor. Enjoy! Ann in TN