Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 PM
chiaraquilts

Lots of good advice here.I also have it both hands- I had surgery on the right hand about a year ago, the left hand is coming up/ The splints are very helpful, it is very important to wear them at night as your wrist and hand will naturally flex while you are asleep, which is the worst position. The best one I found was at Walmart, it is pink and grey and designed for women's hands- very comfortable and well finished so no chafing or rubbing.

The surgery was a breeze, less than a dentist visit. Stayed in my street clothes, was out with light anesthesia (no breathing tube etc) for less than 20 minutes. No cast, some mild weight restrictions for a few days. HOWEVER- it does take some time for the tendon to heal, and during that time it will hurt if you lift something too heavy. Fortunately it doesn't do any damage- you can't "undo" the procedure- but it is something to be aware of. I found that with 3 months I could about 90% of normal things, now it is perfectly fine.

Once the splints stopped working- pain waking me up even with the splints on- I decided it was time for surgery. Wish I hadn't waited so long!