Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 PM
GreatStarter

I will never ever buy another maytag anything! Our first washer and dryer were maytags. Loved them and they lasted for years. Well worth the more expensive price. Our second set were Maytags...they lasted less than six years... And when the repair man came it turned out that it was almost as expensive to replace the washer than to repair it. The whole panels to run them are off of two main boards. They can't even change a fuse. He told me they used to be able to change the fuses but now they are part of the main boards. Obviously it was done so you had to buy new machines even thought the rest of the machines would probably last for years. Oh and the repair visit cost a minimum of $140.00 just for him to come (ok, Sears doesn't technically own the repair company, it just has contracts with this company only in our area) No other repair company would come due to the parts no longer being available to anyone but the one company with the Sear's contract) And I called every company that advertised as selling washer and dryers in both of our phone books. No one would come touch a repair on Maytags that were that model.
Also be aware that Maytag is now owned by Sears as are most of the big brands. They are making the repairs so expensive that people are trashing perfectly good machines.

Guess what we ended up doing-we bought a cheap still mostly mechanicly run washer. No, it's not as quiet as a maytag, but at roughly 1/4 the price of a new maytag I figure I can replace it 3 or 4 times before I spend as much as just buying that Maytag. It cleans just as well, and it's been two years and so far no need for repairs. So ask me in another four years how often I have had to replace it? Right now I think I will be much happier with this cheap machine over my beloved Maytags.
OOps, forgot to mention it's a toploader.